WHAT IS THE FRUITS, VEGETABLES, OTHER CROPS AND SEED TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT (FVOC- STD) ABOUT?
This department was established to improve and sustain food production while conserving natural resources and promoting healthy and active lives by creating and disseminating knowledge in the Plant Sciences.
- Producing quality seeds to meet the demand of farmers in Guyana.
- Operationalizing of the seed technology laboratory.
- Enhancement of staff through national and international capacity building courses.
What are our objectives?
- To develop quality seeds of locally adapted varieties.
- To breed seeds for tolerance to adverse conditions such as drought, marginal soils and soil acidity.
- To develop appropriate production packages for sustainable agriculture.
- To conserve germplasm of important crops.
What are we researching?
- Fertilizer trial and varietal evaluation to increase production of carrot (Daucuscarota L.) varieties (new kuroda and danvers) in open field conditions.
- Evaluation of “banana sweet pepper” using different fertilizer regimes under shaded cultivation.
- Evaluation of jalapeno jumbo sweet pepper to different fertilizer rates under shaded cultivation.
- Demonstrate the use of mulching and drip irrigation to increase production and productivity of hot pepper.
- Interventions to improve the methods of propagation of breadfruit.
- Varietal evaluation of two varieties of watermelon (Grey Bell and Sangria)
- The use of sprinkler irrigation for improved production in sweet potato.
- The growth and yield of different cauliflower and broccoli varieties under shaded conditions.
- Revitalization of the coconut industry through increase production and productivity of coconut, by adopting both short and long term sustainable practices.
- Characterization and mapping of coconut plantation in Guyana.
- Demonstration of good agronomic practices for coconut farms/plantations/groves in Guyana.
HOW CAN THIS DEPARTMENT HELP YOU?
The department provides the following services: breeding; developing production packages; multiplying basic seed; and collecting, characterizing and conserving plant genetic resources (germplasm).
- germination test
- moisture test
- purity tests
- Sensitizes and inform students, farmers, extension officers/agents and other stakeholders on new and developing technologies.